Below are notes I took from a Tony Robbins youtube video. Great stuff! Enjoy!
Watch the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpc-t-Uwv1I
How do you learn language? Through immersion. You learn by doing.
You didn’t learn it by just learning principles, you got in it and you did it so often that it became real.
I’m the “why” guy. I’m the why do you do what you do. What is your motive for action? What is it that drives you and your life today and not 10 years ago or are you running the same pattern? Because I believe that the internal force of internal drive activates as the most important thing in the world. I’m here because I believe that emotion is the force of life. With our minds, we can rationalize anything we can make anything happen.
You don’t work into your self interest all the time. When emotion comes into it, the wiring changes in the way it functions. It’s wonderful to think about how the world is but what I really want to know is what’s driving you.
Explore where you are today so that:
1. You can contribute more
2. We can understand and appreciate others more and create the kinds of connections that can stop some of the challenges we face in our society today.
Obsession: What makes a difference in the quality of people’s lives?
What is it that is shaping that person’s ability to contribute and to go beyond themselves?
The art of fulfillment is rarely mastered. It’s about art..it’s about appreciation and contribution. You can only feel so much about yourself.
The question you have to ask yourself is what is it that shapes us?
We live in a therapy culture in that we are our past. Biography equals destiny. The past equals the future.
Decision is the ultimate power.
If you ask people why they fail to achieve something…. You get excuses but that’s not the defining factor. The defining factor is never resources, it’s resourcefulness. If you get the right emotion, you can do anything. This is the ultimate resource.
What determines your resources? We said decisions shape destiny. What determines it is 3 decisions.
1. What are you going to focus on? Consciously or unconsciously? The minute you decide to focus on something, you have to give it a meaning. And whatever that meaning is produces an emotion. Is the end or the beginning? Is God punishing me or rewarding me or is this the roll of the dice? An emotion then creates what we’re going to do or the action.
The history of the world is these decisions. When a woman stands up and says no, I won’t go to the back of the bus, she just didn’t affect her life. That decision shaped our culture. Or someone standing in front of a tank. Or being in a position like Lance Armstrong and someone says to you, you have testicular cancer. That’s pretty tough for any male especially when you ride a bike. You got it in your brain. You’ve got it in your lungs. But what was his decision on what to focus on? Different from most people. What did it mean? It wasn’t the end, it was the beginning. What am I going to do? He goes off and wins 7 championships he never won once before the cancer because he got emotional fitness, psychological strength.
What shapes Lance and what shapes you? 2 invisible forces
1. State of mind- emotional/physical
2. Our model of the world shapes us long-term. Your model of the world is the filter. It’s the shaper of meaning, emotion, and action.
This is made up of 3 parts:
1. What your target? What are you after? Needs (6 human needs)
2. What your map? What your belief system of how to get those needs? Some people think a way to get those needs is to destroy the world and some people think it’s to build something, create something, love someone.
3. The fuel you pick
3. Significance- We all need to feel important, special, unique. You can get it by making more money, being more spiritual. The fastest way to do this is if you have no background, no culture, and no belief in resources is violence. IF you put a gun to someone’s head, it’s instant significance.
4. Connection and Love- Intimacy, friendship, prayer, walking in nature, or get a dog.
5. You must grow- to give something of value.
6. To contribute beyond ourselves
Tony’s Thanksgiving story
11 years old, no money, no food, father totally messed up and mother telling father how bad he had messed up.
Father made 3 decisions:
1. His focus was this is charity. What does it mean? I’m worthless. What am I going to do? Leave my family which he did.
Tony’s decision gave him a different path.
There’s food, what a concept. Father always said that no one cares. What does this mean? Stranger’s care. What am I going to do? Make a difference. At 17, he went out and fed 2 families, next year 4, then 8. Now 18 years later, they’ve fed 2 million people in 35 countries through his foundation.
Proud of human beings because they get excited to contribute once they have the chance to experience it and not talk about it.
Second piece is the map, the operating system of how you get there.
Emotion- 6,000 emotions that we have words for in the English language. People experience less than 12.
When do people really start to live? When they face death.
Every day give your all, love your all, and don’t let anything ever stop you.
9/11 happened. What are you going to focus on? If you didn’t lose someone today, your focus is going to be how to serve someone else. Angry people get angry, guilty people feel guilty, and sad people get sad.
Explore your web…your needs, beliefs, the emotions that are controlling you for 2 reasons:
1. So there’s more of you to give.
2. So you can appreciate, not just understand, what’s driving other people.