Notes from class:
1. Be an observer of yourself as a communicator – notice and pay attention to how well you’re listening and how that impacts or touches you. Take note of your strengths and areas you wish to improve upon.
2. Watch It’s Not About the Nail (2 min) Video
3. Watch a classic Abbott and Costello, Who’s On First? (7 min) Video
4. Here is the link to an excellent TED talk by Celeste Headlee, called - 10 ways to have a better conversation. This is so worth the 11 minutes. It is ultimately about listening. Gives great perspective and tips. TED Talk
Quotes to inspire you to listen to yourself:
1. "Listen and hear not only what you thought you wanted to hear. Listen and hear what you have to learn." -Ralph S. Marston, Jr.
2. "No one will listen to us until we listen to ourselves." -Marianne Williamson
3. "It is the province of knowledge to speak and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen." -Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
4. "You don't learn when you're talking." -Watts Wacker
5. "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." -Winston Churchill
6. "Listening is the beginning of understanding. Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening. Let the wise listen and add to their learning and let the discerning get guidance." -Proverbs 1:5
7. "Listening is a form of accepting." -Stella Terill Mann